The last week or so I have been on an extremely low supply of frozen bananas which has made mornings more complicated than usual. I usually buy a bunch of bananas each week and then freeze the ones that I don’t eat before they turn too brown. However, like I said, I have been running low on frozen bananas, and I couldn’t figure out why. I am the only one in my house that eats bananas on a daily basis, and I haven’t been eating any more than usual or buying any fewer. Then, this morning my dad mentioned to me how he’s been trying to eat a few bananas a week (weird goal?). Mystery (this seems too strong of a word but oh well) solved.
Lesson of the day: buy more bananas.
All that being said, I should explain why bananas are so crucial to my daily eating habits. I use frozen bananas in all my smoothies. But today I’m here to talk about my favorite: the green smoothie. Green smoothies are my favorite way to start any day. They make me feel super healthy because they have greens (I usually always use spinach), and they’re light and refreshing. The following recipe has plenty of fruit which adds a lot of sweetness, so don’t worry about its green appearance if it scares you.
I forgot the mention the point of that whole banana story. This recipe uses ice. I’ve never really been a fan of using ice in smoothies. I’d much rather use frozen bananas, but I didn’t have frozen bananas when I made this. So, ice it is.
- Half-ish cup of Water or coconut H2O
- Large handful of spinach or baby kale (spinach has a more mild flavor)
- Quarter avocado
- One fresh/frozen banana
- Quarter to half cup of pineapple
- Juice of one small orange/clementine (add the whole fruit if you want)
- Ice (I used 3-4 cubes)
- You’ll also need a blender. (Do I even need to put this here?)
- Blend water and greens first
- Add avocado, banana, pineapple, and orange juice.
- If it has trouble blending, add more water.
- Once blended, taste and add more banana/pineapple to sweeten, or more greens if you’re feeling daring.
- Add a couple ice cubes at a time until the smoothie is your desired consistency.